Our care will begin even before your first prenatal visit. The midwives at Atlanta Birth Center will offer primary care, well woman gynecology, as well as care during pregnancy, birth and the postpartum period. We will serve our patients utilizing the very best, evidence-based models of wellness care. Working as a team, our providers will offer truly comprehensive care. Knowing that “it takes a village to raise a child,” we will also welcome your family and friends to participate in your care at Atlanta Birth Center. Our program of care will be designed to build self-confidence in your ability to give birth and will balance the human touch with the best of technology. More importantly, we will give you the time that you deserve. We understand the value of listening to your concerns and will answer all of your questions. Your midwife will stay with you throughout your labor and birth and will help you, your new baby and your family get off to the best possible start.
Comprehensive Midwifery Care
Comprehensive midwifery care “appears to be the most appropriate and cost-effective type of health care provider to be assigned to the care of normal pregnancy and birth,” according to the World Health Organization. Yet, perhaps the most important distinction of this type of care is that it honors and respects the wisdom and dignity of all women, and the sacredness of pregnancy and birth.
Provided by professionally trained midwives or doctors, midwifery care focuses on the promotion of health and the development of individual responsibility. Midwives believe that childbearing for the majority of women is a normal, healthy event and that you and your family should create the birth experience that will be meaningful to you.
Studied for centuries, the midwifery model of care has proven to have the following benefits as compared to traditional physician-led, obstetric care:
- Lower rates of neonatal mortality
- Lower risk of low birth weight
- Lower risk of infant mortality
- Lower use of interventions
- Higher rates of prenatal education on wellness and health
- Lower risk of perineal lacerations and episiotomies
- Reduced use of pain medication and epidural anesthesia
- Fewer cesarean sections
- Lower rates of hospitalization during pregnancy
- Increased incidence of breastfeeding
- More women reporting feeling in control during labor
- Higher reports of having a “supportive relationship” with your provider during labor and birth
There are essentially no risks to midwifery care. Midwives are thoroughly trained to identify risk factors as early as possible during pregnancy and labor. Early identification of risks minimizes the need for emergency transfer to a nearby hospital, but if it is determined that a hospital birth is the best choice, your midwife will be with you to continue your care.
One of the primary goals of Atlanta Birth Center is to leave a lasting positive and gentle “first impression of the world” on your new baby. We provide a warm, caring, home-like environment where you feel supported and respected, as well as safe and secure.
We are here to give you continuous support, holistic pain management, if needed, and information on infant care, breastfeeding, parenting and family planning. We will welcome your children, parents and friends so you can decide who will be with you or near you as you give birth.
You have private rooms for giving birth where you can:
- Make yourself comfortable and feel at home
- Wear your own clothing
- Have access to a family-style kitchen and eat when you feel hungry
- Soak in a tub or have a water birth
- Rest and recover in a family-sized bed
- Enjoy freedom from unnecessary time limits, redundant paperwork and policies and procedures not based on evidence
- Have access to many proven methods for coping with labor including but not limited to: doulas, acupuncture and chiropractic care during labor, birth balls, hydrotherapy, aromatherapy, homeopathy, music, gardens to roam, squat bars, and birthing stools.
Atlanta Birth Center is an ideal option for women and their families seeking individualized care and shared decision-making. At Atlanta Birth Center, you receive personalized, family-centered care from highly qualified holistic health care providers. Our team works together with you to meet your needs and exceed your expectations throughout your pregnancy, birth, early parenting and beyond.The Atlanta Birth Center team includes professionals from these integrative fields:
- Family medicine
- Pediatrics Nutrition
- Social work
- Physical fitness
- Parenting education
- Breastfeeding support